1. SSH into your machine or open a terminal if your accessing the machine locally.
2. Run this command to install needed software:
sudo apt-get install python-software-properties
3. We will need to add a new repository to our list of repositories – one that contains Subversion 1.7. Dominik Stadler’ PPA (personal package archive) is a good option. Add the repository this way:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:dominik-stadler/subversion-1.7
and press Enter if you end up being asked to confirm the installation. The repository key will be installed along the way.
4. Synchronize your package index files from their sources:
sudo apt-get update
5. Install the updated Subversion:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
The dist-upgrade option will intelligently handle changing dependencies with new versions of packages. Apt-get, being “smart”, will attempt to update the most important packages at the expense of less important ones if necessary – it has a built-in conflict resolution system.
6. Check that your Subversion is of version 1.7 now: